The current work with AR.Drone from Parrot consists of evaluate different ways to interface a PC with AR.Drone.
Interfacing with AR.Drone
Controlling the AR.Drone using the Wii-mote on ROS
- Install [ROS]
- Download the Mobile Robotics Lab at SIUE repository [siue-ros-pkg]. This repository contains two packages ardrone_driver and ardrone_teleop which must to be installed in the stacks directory.
- Verify AR.Drone boot sequence is completed and we can observe green leds on the bottom.
- Enable the WIFI connection with the AR.Drone.
- Launching ROS kernel:
- Loading drone driver:
:~$ rosrun ardrone_driver ardrone_driver
This command connects drone at localhost address.
- Running the node to operate the drone
:~$ rosrun ardrone_teleop ardrone_teleop.
In ardrone_driver directory we can find a script to launch both nodes, the driver and remote operating. To launch this script use:
:~$ roslaunch <$ROS_ARDRONE_DRIVER_PATH>/ardrone_wiimote_teleop.launch
- To use the wiimote, run the python script into the wiimote packages
:~$ rosrun wiimote wiimote_node.py
- Wiimote application is waiting to press buttons 1 and 2 during at least 6 seconds. Next image describes the control layout
ARDRone Driver Properties
To obtain the topic list for node use the followed command:
:~$ rostopic list -v
The list of topic for ARDrone driver is:
/ardrone/imu/data [sensor_msgs/Imu] 1 publisher /ardrone/state [ardrone_driver/ARDroneState] 1 publisher /cmd_vel [geometry_msgs/Twist] 1 publisher
/cmd_vel [geometry_msgs/Twist] 1 subscriber
To obtain the message list for a topic (ex /cmd_vel) use the followed command:
:~$ rostopic type /cmd_vel
The message list for topic is
/ardrone/imu/data sensor_msgs/Imu /ardrone/state ardrone_driver/ARDroneState /cmd_vel geometry_msgs/Twist
To obtain the service list use the followed command:
:~$ rosservice list
The service list for topic is
/ardrone/imu/calibrate /ardrone/land /ardrone/reset /ardrone/takeoff /ardrone_teleop/get_loggers /ardrone_teleop/set_logger_level /driver_drone/get_loggers /driver_drone/set_logger_level
- Finally the drone flying:
<wikiflv width="300" height="250" logo="true">/videos/Ar.drone.ros.flv</wikiflv>
Using URBI to monitor and control AR.Drone
- Video trial:
<wikiflv width="300" height="250" logo="true">/videos/Ar.drone.urbi.flv</wikiflv>
Controlling drone with joystick or joypad using SDK Application
- There are some packages required to compile the SDK code.
:~$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev :~$ sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev :~$ sudo apt-get install libiw-dev
- Download the SDK from the ARDrone development Wiki
- Unpack to a folder of your choice
- First we need to compile the base SDK.
:~$ cd ARDroneAPI/ARDroneLib/Soft/Build :~$ make
and let it build. Within ARDroneLib there will now be a targets_versions folder with the compiled code.
- Now we will compile the navigation example as it is the most verbose and has support for a PS3 controller o joystick
:~$ cd ARDroneAPI/Examples/Linux/Navigation/Build :~$ make :~$ cd ARDroneAPI/ARDroneLib/Version/Release
- Run the example